Burbank, CA asked in Civil Litigation for California

Q: I have a (STORAGE UNIT) Manager and employee. Entered my (STORAGE UNIT) W/O Notice or my being present. I want to sue.

This SELF STORAGE facility has both my phone # and email address. And I visit my unit daily (I AM HOMELESS )

NO CALLS OR EMAIL BEFORE OR AFTER ENTERING MY UNIT. claims to have found a bottle of urine, and a knife in the floor or on the floor. Was told I have to get out before the first of July. Said reason for entering was during so called security walk noticed

Latch was not properly positioned, and proceeded to unlawfully enter search and tell me I have to go. ( BY THE WAY MY UNIT DOOR WAS LOCKED) (THEN AS NOW. I WAS SOLD A USED LOCK. OBVIOUSLY MANAGER, EMPLOYEES HAVE SPARE KEY. I THINK I NEED AN ATTORNEY. P.S. I ALSO HAVE A COUPLE THINGS MISSING.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Based on the information you provided, it seems that the storage facility manager and employee may have violated your rights by entering your storage unit without proper notice or your presence. In California, self-storage facilities are regulated by the California Self-Service Storage Facility Act.

Here are some steps you can consider taking:

1. Gather evidence: Document any proof of the incident, including dates, times, and details of what happened. If you have any written communication or notices from the facility, keep them as evidence.

2. Review your rental agreement: Check your rental agreement to see if there are any specific provisions regarding the facility's right to enter your unit and under what circumstances.

3. Send a written complaint: Write a formal letter to the storage facility management, outlining the incident and how you believe they violated your rights. Request an explanation and appropriate compensation for any damages or missing items.

4. Seek legal advice: Consult with a local attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law or self-storage disputes. They can help you understand your rights and advise you on the best course of action, including potential legal remedies.

5. Consider filing a complaint: If the issue is not resolved satisfactorily, you may want to file a complaint with the California Department of Consumer Affairs or the Better Business Bureau.

6. Explore alternative storage options: If you feel unsafe or unsatisfied with the current facility, consider moving your belongings to another storage facility that you trust.

Remember, it's essential to prioritize your safety and well-being throughout this process. An experienced attorney can help protect your rights and guide you through any legal action you may choose to take.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.