Fresno, CA asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for California

Q: I was charged with arson as a minor and order to pay $30,000 I’m 20 now and can’t pay this can I get it thrown out?

I was paying it until me and my family got evicted and I haven’t been able to pay I’ve been living paycheck to paycheck.

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers
Delaram Keshvarian
Delaram Keshvarian
  • Orange, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Post this question in the post-judgment or debt collection sections.

James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Given the serious nature of your question, I would strongly recommend speaking with a lawyer who specializes in juvenile justice and restitution cases in California. They can review the specifics of your case and advise you on your options.

That said, here is some general information that may be relevant:

In California, court-ordered restitution for juvenile offenses is not automatically dismissed when the minor reaches adulthood. The court has the authority to convert unpaid restitution to a civil judgement once the juvenile completes probation or when the juvenile court jurisdiction terminates.

However, you may have some options given your financial hardship. You could potentially petition the court to have the amount of restitution reduced based on your inability to pay. Another possibility is requesting a payment plan or deferment until your financial situation improves. In some cases, performing community service in lieu of monetary payments may be an option.

Please consult with a qualified attorney who can evaluate the details of your situation and guide you on next steps. Many areas have legal aid societies that provide free or low-cost legal assistance if cost is a barrier. I'd suggest looking into those resources.

I know this is a stressful predicament to be in. Hang in there, and do seek out proper legal counsel to understand your options. Wishing you all the best.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.