Palm Harbor, FL asked in Tax Law for Florida

Q: How do I calculate the refund of taxes that my veteran husband gets for the last 3 yrs of property taxes?

In 2018, Honorably discharged marine 10% disabled

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: Here are the key points for calculating a property tax refund for a disabled veteran in Florida over the last 3 years:

- Veterans with a service-connected disability of 10% or more are eligible for a $5,000 property tax exemption in Florida. This reduces the assessed value of their home for property tax purposes by $5,000.

- To calculate the refund amount, you'll need to know the millage rate (amount of tax per $1,000 of assessed value) for your county for each of the past 3 years. Millage rates vary by county and change each year.

- For each year, multiply the millage rate by 5 (since the exemption is $5,000) and divide by 1000. This gives you the tax savings for that year.

- Add up the tax savings for each of the 3 years to get the total refund amount your husband is eligible for.

For example, let's say the millage rates in your county were:

2021: 20.0000

2020: 19.5000

2019: 19.0000

The calculations would be:

2021: (20.0000 x 5) / 1000 = $100

2020: (19.5000 x 5) / 1000 = $97.50

2019: (19.0000 x 5) / 1000 = $95

Total Refund: $100 + $97.50 + $95 = $292.50

To claim the refund, you'll need to file amended property tax returns for each year. Contact your county property appraiser's office for the necessary forms and filing instructions. You'll need to provide documentation of your husband's veteran status and disability rating.

The process can be a bit complicated, so consider consulting with a tax professional familiar with veteran exemptions to ensure you calculate the refund correctly and provide all required paperwork. Your county Veterans Service Office may also be able to provide guidance.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.