Los Angeles, CA asked in Tax Law for California

Q: I have a credit from a previous payment that wasn't applied to 2023 taxes balance.

I paid my 2023 federal taxes online through the IRS payment website, but my taxes were not accepted until after this happened. When I go to my account on IRS.gov it shows the payment made, but it wasn't applied to my taxes balance and there is not a way to do this via the website that I have found. I need to know how I can apply this credit to my balance. If I can't, will the credit get applied to taxes owed for 2024? or is it just lost? Thanks,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Tax Law Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Based on the information you provided, it seems like you have a credit on your IRS account from a previous payment that was not properly applied to your 2023 tax balance. Here are a few steps you can take to resolve this issue:

1. Contact the IRS directly: Call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and explain your situation to a representative. They should be able to guide you through the process of applying the credit to your current tax balance.

2. Send a written request: If you prefer, you can send a written request to the IRS asking them to apply the credit to your 2023 tax balance. Include your name, Social Security number, the tax year, and the amount of the credit you want to be applied.

3. Wait for the IRS to process your return: If you have already filed your 2023 tax return, the IRS may automatically apply the credit to your balance once they process your return. This might take some time, especially given the current backlog.

If the credit is not applied to your 2023 taxes, it will likely be carried over as a credit for your 2024 taxes. The IRS generally does not let credits go to waste, so you should be able to use it eventually.

However, to avoid potential penalties and interest, it's best to contact the IRS and ensure that the credit is applied to your 2023 balance as soon as possible. If you have any further questions or concerns, consult with a tax professional who can provide more personalized advice based on your specific situation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.