Riverside, CA asked in Family Law, Real Estate Law and Probate for Oklahoma

Q: In Oklahoma if my father passed away and jm his only heir.how do I get a land title?

I've been paying the taxes on it for years

1 Lawyer Answer
James L. Arrasmith
James L. Arrasmith pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Sacramento, CA

A: To get the land title in Oklahoma as the sole heir of your deceased father, you'll need to go through the probate process. Here's a general outline of the steps:

1. File a petition for probate in the county where your father resided or where the property is located.

2. Provide proof of death (death certificate) and your relationship to the deceased (birth certificate).

3. Submit any existing will, if there is one.

4. If there's no will, you'll need to prove you're the sole heir under Oklahoma's intestate succession laws.

5. The court will appoint an executor or administrator (which could be you) to manage the estate.

6. Notify creditors and settle any outstanding debts of the estate.

7. File an inventory of the estate's assets, including the land.

8. Pay any estate taxes, if applicable.

9. Once debts and taxes are settled, petition the court for distribution of assets.

10. Obtain a court order transferring the property to you.

11. Record the court order with the county clerk's office to update the property records.

The fact that you've been paying taxes on the property may help demonstrate your claim, but it doesn't automatically transfer ownership to you. You'll still need to go through the legal process to properly transfer the title.

Given the complexity of probate law, it's advisable to consult with an Oklahoma probate attorney who can guide you through the process and ensure all legal requirements are met.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.