Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Maine Appeals / Appellate Law Questions & Answers
1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Maine on
Q: Is my case appealable?

I am a Pro se Plaintiff, I filed a motion to modify a year later we had a hearing. My ex had a lawyer I did not. I followed all rules of civil procedure and certified mail my copies of all exhibits I was using during the hearing. Our case was over ZOOM. Day 1 I tried to present my case my exs... Read more »

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III answered on Jul 20, 2021

The first thing you need to be concerned about is Maine Rule of Appellate Procedure 2B(c)(1), which provides: "The time within which an appeal may be taken in a civil case shall be 21 days after entry into the docket of the judgment or order appealed from, unless a shorter time is provided by... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Maine on
Q: What to do US District judge order! "there is in effect a stay in place with appeal." Yet, 2 parties took property!

There are no lawyers in Maine who know what to do? They took my business and the house.People say to me , " they can' t do that "? I reply " they have". MOST awful experience. So I am in first circuit and they ignore the case.18-1930. If there is an attorney out... Read more »

Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III answered on Mar 30, 2019

I’m sorry, but I cannot understand your question as currently posed. If you are able to provide some additional facts, I will be happy to attempt to provide you with an answer.

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Maine on
Q: What's the process for appealing a probate decision.
Fred Bopp III
Fred Bopp III answered on Nov 9, 2018

Probate Court decisions may be appealed to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court on matters of law. Here is a website that explains the appeal process to the Supreme Judicial Court: I would suggest that you consult with an attorney to... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Appeals / Appellate Law for Maine on
Q: Can you appeal a protection order if you missed the court date?
Robert Jason De Groot
Robert Jason De Groot answered on Oct 25, 2015

If you justifiably missed a court date because of an accident, for instance, you would want to move for a rehearing. If not, your chances of an appeal are very slim.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.