Do I have to pay child support? Is there any way I can avoid this?

My ex got pregnant and she doesn't want to have an abortion? Im an 18yr old full time college student trying to get into the FBI. My ex wants to have the baby but she wants me to be with her and raise it or my other option is to give away my rights? I don't want to make any haste decisions so I want to know any more options to avoid child support because I do not have a job or have had one; and im not planning on getting a job till im 19 or 20? please help ?

Roy Ching

California law provides that parents have an obligation to financially support their children, and cannot avoid their obligation by giving away their parental rights. The court bases the amount of child support to be paid on a formula set forth in the California Family Code, referred to as the "Guidelines". Income and the amount of time you spend with your child, or "timeshare", may be significant factors in determining the amount of child support you may have to pay. Accordingly, aside from your income, you should consider how you can help to parent your child. Not only would it benefit your child, but it would also reduce the child support that you may be ordered to pay.