my landlord said he is selling the property but he gave me only 15 days to get out can he do this

Rachel Lea Hunter

Answered 3 months ago

What kind of a lease do you have? When is your lease to end? Is this a lease of a regular dwelling or a mobile home? The landlord cannot tell you to get out prior to the end of your lease but it depends on if your lease was year to year or month to month or less (week to week). Very little notice is needed for a month to month or lesser tenancy. If its a mobile home, you get 60 days. If year to year, its generally 30 days. Your lease is the main controlling document so see what it says.

The NC statute is below:

NC GS ยง 42-14. Notice to quit in certain tenancies.

A tenancy from year to year may be terminated by a notice to quit given one month or more before the end of the current year of the tenancy; a tenancy from month to month by a like notice of seven days; a tenancy from week to week, of two days. Provided, however, where the tenancy involves only the rental of a space for a manufactured home as defined in G.S. 143-143.9(6), a notice to quit must be given at least 60 days before the end of the current rental period, regardless of the term of the tenancy.