Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Walter A. Piel
1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: Is it possible to get an Ignition Interlock device removed early?
Walter A. Piel
Walter A. Piel answered on Sep 17, 2020

The Wisconsin Department of Motor Vehicles will not allow an Ignition Interlock Device to be removed early. Based on your driving record and the time period imposed by the Court, the DMV will enforce and monitor the time period you are required to have the device in your vehicle and the time period... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: I got an OWI and am underage. Will I lose my license? I live in Wisconsin.
Walter A. Piel
Walter A. Piel answered on Jan 9, 2020

The revocation will depend specifically on how you were charged. There are mitigating penalties if you are charged with an “underage” OWI as opposed to an “adult” OWI, for lack of better terms. You should call an attorney. Have your citation available. I do provide free consultations, if... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: How do I find a lawyer that can help me with my license and 3rd owi. When I live in Wisconsin but had an IL license?

I was recently stopped on a traffic stop during the stop they ran my name and found I was driving on a revoked drivers license. I have tried countless times to get my license back from the state of Illinois after my first OWI. Now I am facing a 3rd charge and really need a lawyer that can help me... Read more »

Walter A. Piel
Walter A. Piel answered on Dec 11, 2019

You will need an attorney who can help you navigate Illinois separate from your new charges in Wisconsin. My office would be happy to provide a consultation for the Wisconsin charges. We have an attorney we can refer you to to consult in illinois that also practices in DUI matters and working with... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in DUI / DWI for Wisconsin on
Q: How can I get having ignition interlock removed from my court order seeing I already did it?

I was a MI resident and got a DUI in a neighboring WI town in 2011. My license was revoked and then I had interlocking ignition installed with a restricted license. I got my MI license fully reinstated. Now 8 years later moved to WI and they want me to put interlocking ignition on my car for... Read more »

Walter A. Piel
Walter A. Piel answered on Oct 18, 2019

There are steps you must take to satisfy the requirements Wisconsin imposed at the time of the conviction. I would need further information regarding the length of time Wisconsin ordered the Ignition Interlock Device to be installed vs how long Michigan required the device on your vehicle to... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.