Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Scott James
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law for South Dakota on
Q: Will walmart call cops on my child for stealing with only camera footage, never caught in store

Walmart took my kid into loss prevention recently claimed they had several different video footages of him stealing worth over 1700 or something like that. Had him sign a form saying he wouldn't trespass again and let him go. Will he get arrested for it later He's 23 with no criminal record at all

Scott James
Scott James
answered on Dec 6, 2023

Ultimately, this is up to Wal Mart if they are going to make a report with the local police concerning the theft allegations. In South Dakota, you have up to 7 years to file a criminal case on a misdemeanor or felony charge. It sounds like if he comes back to the Wal Mart or has additional issues... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.