Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Sean P. Harrell
2 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law and Domestic Violence for Colorado on
Q: Are police officers required to report monetary gain for a reporting victim?

My ex has falsely reported me for DV several times. After I was charged and some cases convicted she filed for Spousal Transitional Compensation through the military. This is a payout of over $100,000 over a three year period and free healthcare.

Sean P. Harrell
Sean P. Harrell answered on Dec 2, 2020

A benefit to the named victim in a case for filing an allegation against you would be considered a possible motive to lie. This information, particularly if known by the government, should be discovered to the defense.

Each case and scenario must be reviewed individually in relation to...
Read more »

View More Answers

3 Answers | Asked in Criminal Law for Colorado on
Q: Do i need a lawyer everytime iam in front of the judge
Sean P. Harrell
Sean P. Harrell answered on Dec 2, 2020

I agree with my esteemed colleague that you do not always need a lawyer, and most judges will give you an opportunity or even multiple opportunities to obtain counsel or apply to the public defenders office for representation. As a general rule, it is best to obtain counsel at the beginning of a... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.