Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Samuel Aaron Byrd
1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody and Divorce for Tennessee on
Q: Can I move to another state, at my will, if my ex is keeping our kids and I provide child support. Live in TN

I live in TN. Currently going through a divorce and would like to move to Kansas d/t harassment by my parents. Does my ex have to agree to move if he is keeping our kids, I will provide him child support. Or am I free to move when I would like, without him agreeing?

Samuel Aaron Byrd
Samuel Aaron Byrd
answered on Nov 16, 2020

If there is currently a divorce action pending you should seek permission from the court if you cannot work out an agreed parenting schedule for the children that provides for specifics about when you and your kids spend time together. That said, you can move without an agreement but the court may... View More

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.