Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Ute Ferdig
2 Answers | Asked in Divorce for California on
Q: I am recently divorced and did not know i was eligible for alimony i was married 25 years is it to late to file
Ute Ferdig
Ute Ferdig answered on Feb 12, 2011

It would be very unusual for the court to terminate jurisdiction to award spousal support after a long term marriage (10 years or more). While it is possible to waive the right to receive spousal support even after a long term marriage, the waiver has to be clear and unequivocal. So, if you... Read more »

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Real Estate Law for California on
Q: Can real property ( a home) be transferred to a minor in California? If yes what the process?
Ute Ferdig
Ute Ferdig answered on Feb 9, 2011

Home ownership comes with obligations and a minor cannot agree to take on those responsibilities. I would explore putting the property in a trust and make the minor the sole beneficiary. Speak to an experienced estate planning attorney about this as the attorney can evaluate all aspects of the... Read more »

View More Answers

4 Answers | Asked in Divorce for California on
Q: How much does a divorce cost in california?
Ute Ferdig
Ute Ferdig answered on Feb 13, 2011

Love is grant and divorce is 10 grant. No, seriously, a divorce can be as little as $0 to the sky is the limit. It's $0 if you prepare all the documents yourself and qualify for a fee waiver. It can be tens of thousands $$ if even just one of the parties fights about everything. I would... Read more »

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.