Ask a Question

Get free answers to your legal questions from lawyers in your area.

Lawyers, increase your visibility by answering questions and getting points. Answer Questions
Questions Answered by Kelly M. Newman
3 Answers | Asked in Domestic Violence and Criminal Law for New Jersey on
Q: Should I speak up and ask for help at court or should I stay quiet & wait until he tries to hurt my daughter again?

I went to court to press charges against my daughter’s(5 months old) father because I found him molesting her. At court my sister told me that they will give my daughter to him, so I decided to leave but the court took my information and sent DCF to my house. DCF spoke to me and I told them what... View More

Kelly M. Newman
Kelly M. Newman
answered on Dec 27, 2019

If you saw someone molesting your child, regardless of who it was, you should contact the police to press charges, not the court. You should have your child examined at the Emergency Department of a pediatric hospital as soon after the abuse as possible. These are very serious abuses yet can be... View More

View More Answers

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.