Cleburne, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: How can i qualify for family unity?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gus M. Shihab Esq
Gus M. Shihab Esq
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH

A: Dear Sir/Madam,

Family Unity is a procedure provided by regulations and later clarified by case law and subsequent USCIS policy memorandum ( The procedure allows a spouse or child of a "legalized alien" who was eligible as of May 5, 1988 to receive such designation, to receive permanent residence by virtue of such family members' relationship to the principle "legalized alien." Okay, I know this was very confusing legal jargon. I will try to simplify it:

if your spouse or parent was considered a "legalized alien" and you were a spouse or child on or before May 5, 1988, then you could also receive permanent residence by virtue of the existence of that relationship on that date. If you were a spouse, it matters not that you later divorced. So long that you had a spousal relationship on that magical date, that's all what is required.

If you post more facts, I will be happy to analyze your situation more closely.

Gus M. Shihab

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.