Conroe, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: If an illegal woman was deported, pregnant with a child whose father is an american citizen, is the child protected?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gus M. Shihab Esq
Gus M. Shihab Esq
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Columbus, OH

A: Dear Madam,

If you have a Child whose father is a US Citizen you will need to inquire as to whether your child will derive citizenship by virtue of his US Citizenship parentage. In most cases, the child will be a citizen at birth unless the father had not resided in the US for 5 years. If the child is a US Citizen, then he would be eligible for benefits of US Citizenship. The child could apply for your permanent residence when the child is 21 years of age.

I hope I answered your question.

Gus M. Shihab

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.