Glendale, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Deportaion

My husband is currently serving time in a federal prison he also has a INS detainer (possible deportation) He came to the states with a asylum case convention against torture. My question is approx. when they take him to immigration jail how long can they keep him there? we will be fighting our case there becasue if he does get deported his life will be in danger Also he is no longer a citizen of that country even though he was born there a withdrew from his citizienship can he still be deported there if he is not a citizen?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Joshua L. Goldstein
Joshua L. Goldstein
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: If your husband is in ICE custody, ordinarily, he will have the right to a bond hearing where an Immigration Judge can redetermine his custody. Your husband will also have an opportunity to show that he deserves relief from deportation in Immigration Court. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.