Milledgeville, GA asked in Probate for Georgia

Q: My wife died and she did not have a will i was told that i need an executor of estate,how do i get that done

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tanner Woods Pittman
Tanner Woods Pittman
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • LaGrange, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: You may not at all need to petition to administer the estate, which can be a cumbersome process and involve filings of inventory, posting bond, etc.. Often a petition for "year's support" will both dispose of the estate and reap you substantial tax savings.

Even if you have begun the administration process, you would do well to contact an attorney about petitioning for year's support. Often the resulting tax (or debt-forgiveness) savings can more than make up for his or her fee.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.