Oklahoma City, OK asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma

Q: I ended a lease on grounds of Vawa and now the Landlord is sending me a balance owed on the remaining 3 mths of my rent?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Jarod Morris
Mr. Jarod Morris
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: If you living in housing by the Public Housing Authority (PHA) or Section 8 housing, then you should be protected. My understanding of VAWA is that it applies to federally subsidized (PHA or Section 8) housing only. If your lease is to one of these types of housing situations, then you should be protected by VAWA. You need to provide notice to the landlord that you believed you would be in danger of further violence or abuse if you remained. The landlord may require proof which you must provide within 14 business days. Proof can be certification from an attorney, domestic violence service provider, or medical professional, or a police or court record.

Legal Aid is a great resource for these types of situations. Their attorneys are often familiar with these provisions of the law and can handle these matters quickly and effectively.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.