Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In

Oklahoma Landlord - Tenant Questions & Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: If there is central air in my apartment and it goes out does the landlord have to fix it

They also told me I could not put window units in,

Benjamin Oxford answered on Jul 31, 2019

Probably yes, but it depends on your lease. The landlord has to keep the apartment in a habitable condition, and not having air conditioning probably renders the apartment uninhabitable in the summertime in Oklahoma. That does not necessarily mean you can break your lease, but the landlord is... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: In oklahoma can landlord change locks keeping items of tenant only after tenant said was gonna move out only 5 days ago

I am only on month to month and pay rent every 2 weeks only owe for 2 weeks rent and went to get rest my belongings and he has changed lock and my belonging s are still inside. Havecbeen given no written notice or anything he just up and basically stole my things

Doak Willis answered on Jul 23, 2019

You are capable of getting your personal property back. You must file a small claims action in replevin against the landlord if they won't allow you to get your property.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: We let someone stay with us that said they only needed to stay for 3 -4 weeks until her apartment was ready

She has been here two weeks longer and we asked her to leave. She refuses. We have given her a deadline several times but she keeps asking for "two more days" We finally said no yet she refuses saying only one more day....then only two more days. She has a key to our house and even refuses to... Read more »

Doak Willis answered on Jul 12, 2019

Change the locks and when she leaves for the day, don't let her back in. Otherwise, other than physically throwing her out which is not proper, you would have to file a small claims action against her to have her removed lawfully.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: can i sue my roommates for their share of the last month of utilities?

my daughter moved out a month early (agreed upon with landlord). she had a verbal agreement with roommates to share utilities. the former roommates were notified of their share of the utilities for the last month they all lived together but are not responding. can my daughter sue in small claims... Read more »

Doak Willis answered on Jul 12, 2019

Yes. The best evidence of that oral agreement would be where they each shared the utilities the previous months that they lived together.If she can prove those utility payments were shared jointly then her testimony of an oral agreement would have more persuasive affect before the Court in case her... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: What are the steps, in Oklahoma, to evicting a tenant for failure to pay rent?

Oklahoma statute 41-131 makes it sound like 5 days after giving written notice of demand of payment, the lease is terminated and the tenant must leave. That sounds too simple.

Doak Willis answered on Jun 18, 2019

You can file an action called an entry and detainer immediately after the tenant breaches the rental agreement for failing to pay the rent on the due date. You do not have to give written notice if the tenant is delinquent on their rent.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: Is tenant entitled to see receipts for damages charged to keep security deposit?

I think my former landlord is overcharging me in an effort to keep all my deposit. Am I entitled to see receipts for the damages she claims i made?

Doak Willis answered on Jun 9, 2019

Yes. Send a letter to the landlord requesting a copy of the receipts.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: Can a landlord give me a write up or evict me for defending myself against an attack by another tenant?

I live in a Section 8 apartment complex and my landlord gave me a lease violation for my downstairs neighbor attacking myself and my service animal. She tried to smash her head with an ashtray and physically assaulted me then sprayed me and my dog in the face with ammonia. I was almost to the top... Read more »

Doak Willis answered on May 18, 2019

The answer is that you can be written up for just about any reason but the main issue is does the reason for the write up violate any provisions of Section 8 or not. Being the victim of a crime is not a legal reason for being evicted.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: Do I need an attorney to file a contract for deed or can I do it on my own?

I was served a 10 day notice to quit on a property that I have a purchase agreement on through the owner. He is trying to push me off the land as he recently obtained a permit to grow medical marijuana. I have receipts and proof all payments are current.. I have been paying extra for the taxes and... Read more »

Richard Winblad answered on May 6, 2019

If the contract notarized with seller's signature you can file it as is. If not see an attorney.

1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: Son gifted mobile home pd in full no owed fees. MHP owner won't release lien trying to make him sign 5 yr contract.

No fees are owed. Previous tenant (gifter) stayed the 5 years. My son has home title in his name on the way in the mail. Owner states she will not release lien until he has also stayed for another 5 years. Tag office states if we have lien release information they will issue new title. My son has... Read more »

Doak Willis answered on Apr 24, 2019

Since your son hasn't executed a contract with the park owner, he would need to look at the contract signed between the person he was gifted the home from and the property owner and see what the conditions on the home are. Take the contract to an attorney for help.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: Can landlords in Oklahoma charge tenant for their own labor to repair and clean a rental left in horrible condition?

Rental was vacated without meeting us, the landlords, at agreed date/time for return of keys and move-out inspection. Condition of rental was horrible including dog feces, chewed interior and exterior doors and woodwork, destroyed carpeting and large amount of trash scattered throughout the unit to... Read more »

Kyle Persaud answered on Apr 24, 2019

Under Oklahoma tort law, the tenant may be liable to compensate you for damage to the property.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: We are renting a 3 bed 2 bath, we have been here over a year. Our landlord asked us a month or 2 ago if we wanted to b

We have been renting a 3bed 2 bath month to month lease. Can my landlord sell it without us knowing & then tell us to find somewhere to go within 30 days & still took our rent money we gave her before she told us we had to move out.

Doak Willis answered on Apr 10, 2019

That depends upon what your lease states.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: landlord threaten to sue for past rent but has security deposit that’ll cover it.


Doak Willis answered on Apr 10, 2019

The security deposit is to insure the rental is returned to the landlord in the shape you received it at the start of the lease with normal wear and tear excepted.The rental amount is a separate issue. The landlord may state that you left the rental in poor shape requiring them to use that deposit... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Energy, Oil and Gas and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: What do I do? I'm pregnant the landlord is not doing their job to fix things.

We moved in Bradford Square Apartments September 14th and still nothing has been fixed I'm pregnant and have been breathing in gas and a rotten egg smell the carpet was not cleaned there's mold behind the toilet we went a whole month without hot water til the hot water tank busted then they finally... Read more »

Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 21, 2019

Realistically, you may not be able to get anything fixed within the time necessary. Your best bet may be to move out of your apartment.

If you can't afford to move out now, here is, I think, your best option: Write a letter to your landlord. In your letter, list all the problems with your...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: If a landlord issues a 30 day to vacate without going to court to evict but accepts next months rent what are my rights?

30 days issued Middle of month but accepts full months rent for the following month

Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 15, 2019

Your landlord can terminate the lease anytime he wants, if he gives you thirty days notice.

However, you may be legally entitled to a refund of next month's rent.

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: I left my apartment after renting for 2 years, and an eviction notice shows up now on my new apartment search.

I left a year ago without notice, but I paid each month on time, also was at the end of my lease. Do I have any way to reverse this off my record?

Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 7, 2019

Call the landlord who issued the eviction notice, and ask if they will remove it from your record.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: Evicted & served judgement. LL re-rented within 2 months. Am I entitled to have judgement amount reduced?

12 month lease, 4 months in. Lost job, made partial payment agreement w/LL (did pay 1st installment) - filed against me anyway

Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 6, 2019

In general, you are not entitled to have the judgment reduced merely because the landlord re-rented within 2 months. You could have the judgment reduced if there was an agreement in place that says the judgment could be reduced.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: If my tenant abandoned the property without paying anything how can I find a way for them to pay my lost

Kyle Persaud answered on Mar 6, 2019

File a lawsuit against the tenant.

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: Our garage door will not stay up. Is this considered a safety hazard in which we can withhold rent?

We have made our landlord aware of this since we moved in back in October. It is held up by ratchet straps and will reverse and fall shut if the strap breaks or comes loose.

Doak Willis answered on Feb 13, 2019

This is not a listed condition in the statutes that empowers you to withhold rent. Put your landlord on notice in writing that there is a hazard that needs to be fixed. Without looking at your lease, an attorney cannot tell you what all your rights may be under the facts of your case.

2 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for Oklahoma on

Q: If I have been a tenant of a commercial property over 10 years do I have a right to buy the land before a stranger?

I live in Oklahoma

Richard Winblad answered on Jan 25, 2019

Unfortunately, no. Unless your lease or rental terms state differently.

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oklahoma on

Q: I live in Oklahoma can my old landlord charge me for damages after I moved out? If so how long does he have to charge me

It’s been 21 days since I moved out, haven’t received deposit back or a letter of deductions.

Doak Willis answered on Jan 21, 2019

Yes he can charge you for damages if there are damages. If you left the premises in good condition when you moved then you should contact him and set a time to go over the premises if he claims damages. At that point you will know if your going to get your deposit back or not. The time limitation... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.