Newberry, SC asked in Probate for Georgia

Q: My dad died in georgia i have been asked to sign off on years support form for step mom why

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Tanner Woods Pittman
Tanner Woods Pittman
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • LaGrange, GA
  • Licensed in Georgia

A: Since I'm answering this question months after its posting, I'm sure the issue is moot now. But the reason is that your mother is petitioning to receive some of your father's property as a spousal right. She must either obtain your consent to this or incur some fees in getting you personally served - so the consent method is usually easier for everyone.

Unless, that is, you object. If your father died without a will (my condolences for your loss), you have a right to a share of his estate, which your mother is depleting by petitioning for year's support. If you (had) object(ed), there will (would have been) a trial on the issue of how much property she needs from the estate in order to support herself for one year.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.