Moses Lake, WA asked in Criminal Law for Washington

Q: Can an inmate get a furlough for their childs baptism?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Blake Nathaniel Dore
Blake Nathaniel Dore
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Washington

A: The answer to your question may depend on where the inmate is being housed.

Washington Department of Corrections only allows escorted leave from prisons for: 1) to receive necessary medical or dental care that is not available at the facility; 2) to attend the funeral or visit the deathbed of an immediate family member; 3) work program; 4) to volunteer in the community; 5) mandatory court hearing; 6) other appropriate reasons with approval.

The inmate should apply to DOC (or wherever he or she is housed) for permission.

Per the Justia terms of service, this communication does not constitute "legal advice", nor does it form an attorney-client relationship.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.