Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Cristine Beckwith
1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law and Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: Is there a limit of how long they can hold a minor on probable cause in detention?
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith answered on Aug 21, 2019

A detention hearing must be held within 72 hours. That time period may be extended if the arrest falls on a weekend or holiday.

At that hearing the Judge will release the juvenile unless there is finding that further detention is required to ensure their appearance in court or to protect...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Juvenile Law for Washington on
Q: If put on probation as a juvenile and go on warrant status for probation violation will it be carried over as an adult?

Already pleaed guilty to his charges but was put on probation till a month after he's 18 . Now he has a warrant for not checking in . Willl his warrant be dropped or will it be carried over as an adult ?

Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith answered on Jul 29, 2019

Warrants generally freeze everything until they are quashed and the underlying issue addressed. The Court will continue to have jurisdiction over him even after he is 18.

He should contact an attorney to schedule the warrant quash hearing and assist him in ending probation and closing the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Washington on
Q: If the state issued a DV protection order and I did not want one in the first place can it be dropped or cancelled
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith answered on Jul 25, 2019

A DV protection order is petitioned for and controlled by the party seeking the order (petitioner). A criminal no contact order is entered by a Court typically at the request of the State (prosecutor).

If it is indeed a protection order, then you should be able to go to the Court house and...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Domestic Violence for Washington on
Q: If I have a no contact order that neither me or my girlfriend want in wash state can we move to Oregon to bypass
Cristine Beckwith
Cristine Beckwith answered on Jul 16, 2019

Criminal no contact orders in Washington State have language in them that makes the order enforceable everywhere in the United States (including D.C., Puerto Rico, and any U.S. Territory).

It would be in your best interest to contact an attorney to assist you and your girlfriend in...
Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.