Fresno, CA asked in Estate Planning for Oklahoma

Q: How can I establish that I am an heir to and establish title to real estate left by deceased father in McCurtain, OK?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Jarod Morris
Mr. Jarod Morris
  • Oklahoma City, OK

A: The key issue is whether your father died with or without a will. If he died with a will, then find a copy and petition the court to admit the will to probate. If he did not have a will, then you can petition the court to be appointed as Administrator of the Estate. As a child, you are entitled to Letters of Administration. Your siblings, if you have any, may object, but this is how you get it started. Once there is an inventory and distribution of property, then you will have a clear title in order to decide what to do with the real property. Keep in mind, that if you have siblings, then you each will likely be owners of the real property.

Without more information, it is very difficult to give you specific advice.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.