Boston, MA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Massachusetts

Q: Management Co. is refusing to return my lease deposit. Will I need a lawyer because I can't afford one?

The reason Management Co. is refusing to return our deposit is because they claim we did not pay the last month rent of our lease agreement which is totally a perposterous thing to say. We have that canceled check proving they took our rent for that month. We've gone in the leasing office several times and shown them our canceled check, yet they refuse to return our money from our deposit back and have not returned our phone calls, nor answered us in letter if they have anymore reason to continue to hold on to our Secuity Deposit. Their silence speaks loudy for itself. We must take them to court if we ever plan on seeing our deposit money returned back to us.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Ilya Libenzon
Mr. Ilya Libenzon
  • Boston, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: In many jurisdictions, if the landlord does not return the security deposit within 30 days from the date the tenant moves out of the premises, the tenant may sue to recover double the amount due, plus court costs. In many jurisdictions, if the amount sought is $3,000.00 or less, the tenant may sue in the Small Claims Section. If you cannot afford hiring an attorney, you can do it yourself in a Small Claims Court

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.