Peoria, IL asked in Divorce for Illinois

Q: How do I get a divorce when Ive been married for 3yrs and he's been a felon on the run since?

Ive been married since April 2008 and tried to get a divorce but no one can help me. They have me going in circles. One says to go the courthouse, another says to go to DSHS and then to an attorney but Ive read so many things that basically tell me I can go to the courthouse and speak to someone about a qilful disertion. When we got married, about a week later we seperated and he signed my divorce papers which I still have but I did not know it had to be notorized. My husband is a felon on the run and I dont know how to get a divorce. Please help me?

Related Topics:
2 Lawyer Answers

J. Richard Kulerski Esq.

  • Oak Brook Terrace, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: You serve him by publication.

Andrew John Hawes

  • Niles, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: I agree with Mr. Kulerski. If you truly do not know where he is located and cannot locate him after trying to do so, you can file an "affidavit for service by publication" after filing your divorce paperwork. You do not need his signature on anything. You may want to hire an attorney to assist, as they may be able to locate him, or alternatively, can make sure that you comply with all of the requirements of service by publication.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.