Los Angeles, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Can someone who is only resident get deported for no contest plea on a felony charge 11360a

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr Brian D. Lerner
Mr Brian D. Lerner
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Hello:

A no contest plea in immigration is the same as guilty.

Criminal Evaluation

At this point, it is critical that you obtain the Criminal Evaluation by an Immigration Attorney. Neither the Criminal Attorney or the Criminal Judge are aware of how your particular criminal situation will affect your immigration status. There is no reason to plea to something in criminal court that will only hurt your chances of remaining in the U.S.. My firm can prepare the necessary Criminal Evaluation which will document to you and the Criminal Attorney exactly what is your immigration situation and the best alternatives for a plea that will have the least effect on your immigration status and will minimize the damage that could occur in future deportation hearings. 


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.