Frederick, MD asked in Collections for Maryland

Q: My Granddaughter owes a credit card debt which she aquired before she was married and is her maiden name. She lost her

Job and did not pay the debt. Now a collection lawyer has sued her for $7524.69 and the trial is set for October in Maryland court. I have called the lawyer and offered to settle her debt for $3000 which is all I can afford. They refused and offered to settle for $6500. I certainly cannot afford that. My granddaughter lost her job and cannot find another one. She has nothing so they said they will get a judgement against and the interest and fees will just keep mounting up. She only has $50 in her bank account, they can have that. The only thing she has is the house with her husband and it is not worth the money they paid for it, they are underwater now and may have to go to forclosure. Will the judgement place a lien on the house even though it is also in her husbands name?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
David Thomas Wagner
David Thomas Wagner
  • Collections Lawyer
  • Rockville, MD
  • Licensed in Maryland

A: If the original debt is in her name only and the property is owned/titled in both names as tenants by the entirety or joint tenants then any judgment against her individually will not attach to and become a lien against the house.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.