Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Leonard A Englander
1 Answer | Asked in Real Estate Law for Maryland on
Q: i gave my roommate my rent she didn’t pay she left the apartment now I got a eviction notice what can I do.

I found out she hasn’t paid in 2 months and she’s not answering my calls and I can’t get in touch with her

Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander answered on Dec 26, 2019

That is very frustrating.

So, you have to pay the rent or risk getting evicted.

What you can do is locate your former roommate and file suit against her for absconding with the rent.

Hope that helps!

2 Answers | Asked in Landlord - Tenant for Maryland on
Q: The defendants in our case did not appear at the hearing but have now submitted intent to defend after. Is this allowed?

My spouse and I appeared at the hearing but neither defendant was present. We were prepared to discuss our case but since they did not show, the judge said there was no contest and ruled affidavit judgement that they needed to return our deposit and court fees. Now, when I search the case online to... Read more »

Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander answered on Dec 14, 2019

I've seen that happen before. Basically, if they get the Notice of Intention to Defend (NOID) in at just the right moment, the Court just decides to set a court date.

As counsel states, you will want to get all your documents in order and may want to consider looking into consulting...
Read more »

View More Answers

1 Answer | Asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Maryland on
Q: What happens to me since my landlord got his rental license suspended for a violation. I have 9 months left on my lease.

Condominium in Prince Georges County maryland

Leonard A Englander
Leonard A Englander answered on Dec 3, 2019

Nothing "happens" so to speak. If your Landlord (LL) is unlicensed, you still have to pay rent and are still a tenant. The major difference lies in what your LL can do to you if you don't pay rent. In PG, if the LL doesn't have the license, he/she cannot make use of the Failure... Read more »

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.