Houston, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: Mom and i have a deportation order 19 yrs ago. Dad is abusive and we have no criminal record what can we do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Doerrie
Jennifer Doerrie
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Fresno, CA
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Hello,

Was the abuse ever reported to the police or other law enforcement? I strongly encourage you and your mother to consult with a licensed, experienced immigration attorney (and not an unlicensed notary or consultant) about your situations. There is not enough information here to determine whether you possibly may qualify for a U visa or VAWA, and even if there were, that is a legal determination that needs to be made only after a private, detailed consultation. If the cost of even a consultation with a private attorney is a concern, there is a list of attorneys and organizations that offer pro bono or reduced fee services to those who meet the attorney/organization's eligilibty requirements at http://www.justice.gov/eoir/probono/states.htm.

Best wishes,


Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.