Weslaco, TX asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico

Q: What are my option for requesting Back pay for child support?

I married an Army soldier, we have 3 children, 20 years ago he abandon us, never pay child support. About 3 months ago we divorced. Later I found out that 2 months after he abandon us, he married another women, at that time we still legally married. So for more than 20 years he was legally married to two womens and he never cares about our family.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer

Lcdo. Ivan M. Alers

  • Carrollton, TX
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: In Puerto Rico, the child support is due since it was requested at ASUME or in the court with jurisdiction. If a child support amount is due, and the child is still a minor, you must sue the debtor demanding the payment in the forum where the child support was established. However, in general, you will only have the right to request a back pay of the amount due for the previous five years since the child became an adult. If you never made a child support petition, you can't request a back payment for child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.