Puerto Rico Child Support Questions & Answers

Q: What are the rights of the father when your child was born out of marriage? Who would have the custody ?In Puerto Rico .

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support, Divorce and Family Law for Puerto Rico on
Answered on May 8, 2018
Naomi Jusino's answer
Dear reader:

In Puerto Rico a child born outside a marriage has the same rights as one born during marriage.

The legal custody is established by the court.

Q: My son is 25 years and he doesn't have a job but he needs to pay Child support. Am I responsible to pay childsupport?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Jan 22, 2018
Bari Weinberger's answer
Thank you for your question. No, you would not be responsible for pay your son’s child support obligation. I strongly suggest that your son contact a family law attorney that would be able to give him advice and devise a plan in order to request a reduction of child support.

Q: Where does child support goes to the state or the mom in puerto rico if I start paying childsupport & I'm behind 4000

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Dec 21, 2017
Naomi Jusino's answer

All the money for alimony is deposited in a child support (ASUME) account in Puerto Rico and it goes directly to the mother or father with custody of the child.

Q: I been living in PR since Nov. w/my daughter. My ex lives in FL & is wanting to file divorce would he have to file here?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Custody, Child Support and Divorce for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Feb 28, 2017
Terrence H Thorgaard's answer
November was about three months ago. Under the Uniform Child Custody Jurisdiction and Enforcement Act, which is the law in Florida, the courts of this state have jurisdiction to award custody, because the child has not been in Puerto Rico for at least six months. Puerto Rico has not adopted the UCCJEA.

So it's possible that the Florida court could order you to return the child to Florida.

I suggest that you find an attorney in PR who is also admitted to practice in Florida.

Q: Can someone that receives child support from Ohio but lives in Puerto Rico also receive public assistance?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Public Benefits for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Aug 4, 2016
Peter Munsing's answer
Assuming PR public assistance knows and they meet the ADC guidelines, no reason why not--plenty of parents are in that situation.

Q: What are my option for requesting Back pay for child support?

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support for Puerto Rico on
Answered on Nov 29, 2012
Lcdo. IVAN M ALERS's answer
In Puerto Rico, the child support is due since it was requested at ASUME or in the court with jurisdiction. If a child support amount is due, and the child is still a minor, you must sue the debtor demanding the payment in the forum where the child support was established. However, in general, you will only have the right to request a back pay of the amount due for the previous five years since the child became an adult. If you never made a child support petition, you can't request a back...

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.