Orlando, FL asked in Immigration Law for Florida

Q: Do I have to be living with my spouse in order to successfully petition for a green card?

He came legally but visa expired we have a child on the way but we each live with our families we wish to marry then change his status he is from BAHAMAS he came here to live with his aunt and grandmother after both his parents passed we both are 21 years old now

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Francis M. Boyer
Francis M. Boyer
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Jacksonville, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Yes otherwie you are committing marriage fraud, punishible by heavy fines and several years in jail.

You need to prove that the marriage is real. very hard to do when the spouses are living separately.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.