Little Rock, AR asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: Can a probation officer cOme to your house to arrest you

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn L Hudson
Kathryn L Hudson
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Generally being on "probation" is a sentence imposed for being found guilty or pleading guilty to a crime. Rather than serving a sentence incarcerated the defendant is allowed to serve their time under either supervised or unsupervised probation under the judicial system through probation departments that monitor the defendant to ensure they are complying with the terms of their probation. When one is on probation they are under judicial supervision and that means one's right to certain civil liberties are limited. One can be subjected to random searches, drug screens, and background checks without consent. If a person on probation violates the terms of the their probation their probation can be revoked and the original sentence of incarceration imposed. I took a long way to say yes, a probation officer can come into your house and arrest as they are officers of the law.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.