Texas, TX asked in Immigration Law for Texas

Q: What form does a person seeking legal residence in the u.s. for employement if they are already in the u.s. illegally

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr Brian D. Lerner
Mr Brian D. Lerner
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Long Beach, CA

A: Hello:

That would depend and they may not be able to do this. However, the PERM would be where they would start.

PERM Labor Certification

A Labor Certification is an application filed by your future employer. Labor Certification is now known as PERM and moves through the system much faster than before. In fact, if everything goes smoothly, after filing the Labor Certification, it could take only 60 days. This is years faster than before. It is an offer of employment that will allow you to work for that employer when you get your Green Card.  My office prepares the paperwork and application and then sends it out for signature to you and your employer. We guide both of you through the entire process so that you will never wonder what to do next. Please note that even though the Labor Certification process is much faster, that it is still taking years for the visa number to become current. 

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.