Wilmington, DE asked in Collections for Delaware

Q: 2000:my old bank charged off $ I owed. 2001:I filed/got bankruptcy. 2011:bank bought my old one.Must I pay that $ to it?

In 2000, I owed Wilmington Trust $2100 when they agreed to charge it off. With the help of a lawyer, I applied for bankruptcy in late 2000. The Court approved it in 2001, with no obligation for me to reimburse my creditors. In the meantime, I had changed banks. A few months ago, another bank bought out my former bank. They have not contacted me but my credit scores suddenly dropped by 150 points! Identity Guard helped me learn who had done this. The bank (M & T) that has taken over evidently believes that I owe them that $2100 from over 10 years ago. Do, I legally? I can't see how, given the 1st bank's charge off plus the bankruptcy decision. How do I make them stop & get my credit rating back? Do I need a lawyer?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman
  • Wilmington, DE
  • Licensed in Delaware

A: You should contact the lawyer who helped you file for bankruptcy.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.