Batesville, AR asked in Criminal Law for Arkansas

Q: My son is in jail for aggrevated robbery. This is his 1st offense. Should he take it to trial. Offer is now 25 years

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Kathryn L Hudson
Kathryn L Hudson
  • Little Rock, AR
  • Licensed in Arkansas

A: Without more information it is difficult to render an opinion. There are many factors that need to be considered before taking a plea offered by the prosecution, an attorney will review all the evidence the state has and must turn over to the defense in order to counter back to the prosecution with another alternative. Taking the case to trial of course has risk but when there is a prosecutor that refuses to budge it is often the only choice. If your son does not already have a private attorney you would be wise to do what you can to retain one for him. Public defenders are dedicated advocates but have heavy case loads and too often do not have the resources available to investigate the evidence and interview witnesses that when that evidence is shown to the prosecution often prompts them to reconsider their original offer.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.