Fresno, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: How could i bocome legal?

My family immigrated to the US back in 2003 we all had tourist visas, we acquired them back in 2001, they are now expired and of course i over stayed the 6 month allowed, i have now turned 19 and will graduate high school in a month, reality came and i realized the importance of being legal. How could i become legal, i will marry my girlfriend very soon she was born here, is there a way i could achieve legalization?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mr. Allan S. Lolly
Mr. Allan S. Lolly
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • La Jolla, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: Yes, it is very possible to put you into status as a permanent resident based on marriage to your U.S. citizen fiancee. It will help to know your nationality and how you entered. If you still have your passport and entry stamps, please keep them in a safe place. It is a good idea to talk to a qualified immigration attorney prior to marriage to help sort out a path to legalization.

It will also be important to learn about the opportunities for each family member who has gone out of status. If you have any brothers or sisters who are under the age of 19, please contact an immigration attorney right away. Children are not penalized for being unlawfully present in the U.S. until they become an adult at 18 years of age. After that time, potential penalties start to accrue.

For more information about marriage while in the U.S. on a B visitor visa, please see: Kind regards, Allan Lolly, Immigration Attorney

Note: This information is general in nature and should not be relied up as legal advice for any particular matter.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.