Dallas, TX asked in Social Security for Texas

Q: Does Chronic Constipation qualify for SSDI for Child?

My Son has Chronic Constipation and ADHD. We have applied for benefits. Because his ADHD is sort of controlled with medication (he still struggles but makes good grades) I am worried his claim will be denied, despite his frequent health problems due to constipation including 3 hospitalizations in 13 months (2 in last 2 months).

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jake Causing Santos
Jake Causing Santos

A: Any medical conditions for children can be found to be disabling. However, the medical conditions must result in marked or extreme limitations. Based on the information you provided, two hospitalizations in two months could be extreme if the medical records show that frequent hospitalizations are expected going forward or that the hospitalizations were for more than a couple of days at a time. There is no hard figure on the number of hospitalizations that are frequent enough to be considered disabling.

You mentioned SSDI, but I believe you are looking at SSI which is Supplemental Security Income. This program also has to take into account the parents' income and resources and if it is too high, it does not matter how severe the medical conditions are because your child could not meet the financial requirements.

This information is general nature and you may want to consult with a local attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.