Texas Social Security Questions & Answers

Q: Can I receive SS benefits on her record when I am age 62, or will I have to wait until she is 62 and I am 68?

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Jan 22, 2019
Dustin Draper's answer
I would need to know some additional details before I could conclusively answer this question. However, generally speaking in order to receive benefits derived from the account of a divorced spouse they themselves have to be eligible for Social Security (either through reaching retirement age or becoming disabled themselves). I hope this helps.

Q: I'm trying to find out about my case Macon vs. Owens al

1 Answer | Asked in Personal Injury, Civil Rights, Small Claims and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Jan 8, 2019
Tammy Lyn Wincott's answer
Your question doesn't provide enough detail to answer. If you are wanting the status of a case you are involved with you may contact the attorney representing you or the courts. Many courts allow online access to see the status of your case.

Q: My husband and I are looking for a attorney that handles workers comp disability cases. Also someone who handles medical

1 Answer | Asked in Medical Malpractice, Personal Injury, Social Security and Workers' Compensation for Texas on
Answered on Nov 21, 2018
Daniel John Christensen's answer

If you are still needing assistance please call (512) 220-1800 and we would be more than happy to help you out!

I hope to hear from you soon!

Q: How do I amend my child's birth certificate to add her deceased father to it ?

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law, Probate, Public Benefits and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Oct 8, 2018
Robert W. Leonard Jr.'s answer
You can review the information provided at the Texas Department of State Health Services, VItal Statistics division to review the process. Here is the link:


Since you will need a court order, it would be best if you contact a local family law attorney to assist you. You want to make sure it is done properly.

Q: How is the waiting period for SSA benefits calculated if the claimant is self employed? The specific math.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Jul 30, 2018
Thomas Carter O'Brien's answer
The 5-month waiting period is described in CFR § 404.315. The relevant part of the regulation states that benefits will be payable after you have been disabled for FIVE FULL (emphasis added) consecutive months. This five-month waiting period begins with the first full month in which you were both insured for disability and disabled. In you case it appears that Jul-Aug, Aug-Sep, Sep-Oct, Oct-Nov, Nov-Dec are your five months of waiting period (but spans portions of six months - hence their...

Q: I'm needing advise or representation in receiving social security benefits .

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Jul 27, 2018
Anna Katherine Stone's answer
They may be sending you to their on doctor if your doctors have not addressed permanent restrictions. They basically want a medical source statement commenting on your residual functional capacity (RFC). You must attend any and all appointments they set for you or you will be jeopardizing your claim. It can take many months for them to gather all the records and review the claim. I encourage you to retain a qualified SSD attorney if you get denied. You will only have 60 days to file an appeal...

Q: Do DBA lump sump settlements need to be reported to Social Security? If the person has been found disabled?

1 Answer | Asked in Government Contracts and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Jul 26, 2018
Anna Katherine Stone's answer
You would need to consult with a local workers' compensation attorney who practices in the state where you worked and were injured on the job. Also, there may be time limitations on when you can file for WC so I would encourage you to reach out to an attorney as quickly as possible. Best wishes.

Q: Can my EX use my social security number for child support

1 Answer | Asked in Criminal Law, Child Support and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Mar 16, 2018
Grant St Julian III's answer
Who was your ex "signing up for child support" with? Did she provide your social security number and represent it as being hers, or did she just provide your number are required information?

Q: Does arears child support payments affect an adult disabled child's social security income?

1 Answer | Asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Tax Law, Workers' Compensation and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Feb 16, 2018
Terry Lynn Garrett's answer
Yes. Ask the court to enter an order that it must be paid into a special needs trust, an account with a master pooled special needs trust (such as the ARC of Texas Master Pooled Trust) or a combination of these with an ABLE account on which you have signatory authority (see www.stable.org). Money in these does not affect SSI. If the total is up to $15,000, an ABLE account is the least expensive option. The ARC of Texas Master Pooled Trust is next at $600 to establish and $400/year to...

Q: my Mother lives with me in Texas can my sibling in Ohio have power of attorney over her and control her money?

1 Answer | Asked in Elder Law, Social Security, Estate Planning and Probate for Texas on
Answered on Feb 5, 2018
Terry Lynn Garrett's answer
No one can get a durable power of attorney over someone else's money. The person themselves must grant it. If your mother gave your sister a durable power of attorney, she can revoke it. If she now lacks legal capacity to manager her financial affairs (as testified by a doctor completing a Physician's Certificate of Medical Examination), you can apply for guardianship of her estate (also called conservatorship.) She may want to see an elder law attorney. You can find one in your area using...

Q: Need help finding the right lawyer for probono in West Texas... complex divorce/CPS/defamation of character case?

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce, Child Custody, Probate and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Jan 15, 2018
Terry Lynn Garrett's answer
You may need one family lawyer and one probate lawyer. Using the Find a Lawyer function on the State Bar of Texas website, you may find a probate lawyer who will take the probate case and be reimbursed from the estate. If you are destitute, you can file an Affidavit of Indigency asking the court to waive court fees. You can also seek legal representation through Texas Rio Grande Legal Aid or Volunteer Legal Services. If you do not qualify financially, you can seek representation for people...

Q: In a joint bank account, does a spouse have legal rights to utilize SSDI Representative Payee benefits? Why or why not?

1 Answer | Asked in Banking, Family Law and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Oct 31, 2017
Tammy Lyn Wincott's answer
Your question is answered in the law you listed above. Contact SS for further information if still unsure.

Q: I was denied disability and i did not appeal within 60 days. I was homeless and did not receive mail.. What do i do now

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Aug 14, 2017
Shari Lynn Vannieuwenhoven's answer
You can still file the appeal but you need to show good cause for filing the appeal late. I suggest contacting your local social security office as soon as possible to request the hearing and establish good cause. Good luck.

Q: My new LG washer ruined clothes and towels. Can I sue?

1 Answer | Asked in Consumer Law, Products Liability, Civil Litigation and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Jan 27, 2017
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Contact the insurance commissioner and see if they think coverage should pay for replacement value or market value.

Q: I'm a Texas resident but spend a few months a year abroad at a second residence.

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Nov 29, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
May not make sense--possibility of mail forwarding other problems suggest not great idea. But you can if you want.,

Q: Can my husband volunteer (with no compensation) for my company after he retires?

2 Answers | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Nov 29, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
He can work there and get social security. Just means that he gets a certain amount deducted in relation to his income.

Second, he may want to wait until he is 66 or so. At 62 he only gets 75 per cent of his benefits. If he hasn't maxed his contribution he may want to put in a few more years. Business can't handle his salary to max (Approx 122 per yer)?

Then he gets his check he can loan it back to the firm. Talk to your accountant about how to do this. Yes, you need an...

Q: Does a social secerity administration person have the right to over rule on a federal judges ruling on a fraud case?

1 Answer | Asked in Federal Crimes and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Oct 5, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
No, but this is something the claimant should discuss with their lawyer/federal public defender.

Q: My ? Is if a federal judge rules on how much a defendant is to pay back monthly does SSA have the right to with hold

2 Answers | Asked in Gov & Administrative Law and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Sep 20, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Not clear what is going on. A good place to start is with the Legal Services office if you didn't have an attorney in Federal Court. Overpayments can be waived or modified if "against equity and good conscience." Generally Social Security benefits aren't subject to withholding--though once cashed the person with the court order could get them. However if it's taxes that is different. You need a personal consultation but a Federal Court order is something you need to know and understand.

Q: Can a person who has been in the U.S. for 11 years become a permanent resident without being petitioned by family?

1 Answer | Asked in Immigration Law, International Law and Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Sep 20, 2016
Peter N. Munsing's answer
Doesn't look like you could adjust status. http://www.cuevalawfirm.com/blog/2015/2/13/how-to-become-a-lawful-permanent-resident-through-deferred-action

However, if you are seriously interested in one of the armed services, believe you are in shape to get through boot camp,

you may want to inquire if there is a waiver procedure that would allow you to enter the armed services.

The problem is that DACA has been somewhat put on hold by the State Attorney Generals...

Q: My ? Is I was indicated on ssi frund in texas I was held liable for back pay plus had to do 5 years probation the judge

1 Answer | Asked in Social Security for Texas on
Answered on Sep 8, 2016
Robert Martin Louque Jr's answer
Are you asking whether you can do something about a federal judge making you pay back money you received from social security that you never should have received?

The answer is no. You were required to pay back the money you should have never received.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.