Los Angeles, CA asked in Immigration Law for California

Q: Entered US illegally 20yrs ago. Im 25, married to US citizen who had a history of cancer. Any laws that will help me???

I was 4 years of age when I entered the US along with my mother. At that time she was eligible for a social and drivers license but she does not have a green card. She applied for refugee, there is a case number that was closed and she does not have a order of deportation.she said I was added to that but we don't know for sure. I'm now 25 married to a US citizen who had a history with cancer. Will I have to leave the US to get a residency or is there any law that will help me in any way??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rebecca White
Rebecca White
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Seattle, WA

A: You may benefit under the new Deferred Action program. You may also be able to apply for a greencard based upon your marriage. You will need to provide more information regarding when and how you entered the US, and you will need to obtain a copy of your mother's asylum application.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.