Hockessin, DE asked in Collections for Delaware

Q: How can I dispute a debt collection claim?

I have been contacted by a debt collection agency that is claiming that I owe $14,000 on an old credit card debt that was originally $1,500. I have already paid more than $9,000 in a wage garnishment that I had for 3 years, which was handled by another debt collection agency (that one recently went out of business and sold their accounts to another debt collector contacting me now). I have old paystubs showing that I paid $9,000 in the garnishment, which I submitted to the new debt collector, but the company is still claiming that their records show a $14,000 balance. What are my legal rights in disputing this claim, and what type of attorney should I seek legal counsel from to handle this type of case?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman
  • Wilmington, DE
  • Licensed in Delaware

A: Contact a consumer law attorney. This should be relatively simple to resolve.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.