Abilene, TX asked in Family Law for Texas

Q: My wife and I have had temporary custody of our niece since she was born.

Her mother was fighting leukemia and lost, and there is no father on the birth certificate.

Legally, is there anything that we need to know about or do?

This involves Texas law.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Eric Stephen Lafleur
Eric Stephen Lafleur
  • Allen, TX
  • Licensed in Texas

A: Well, it would help to have a little more detail about what you mean by temporary custody, and how long you've had it/how long your niece has been living with you. Do you mean that the niece has simply been living with you, or that there was a court order granting you temporary custody? If there was a temporary order, then you will want to go back to the court that issued it and try to get a final order. If not, you need to file a petition to adopt your niece.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.