Bronx, NY asked in Criminal Law for New York

Q: Can I still get bail money back, even if I lost the receipt for it?

My son got arrested and I came up with the bail. Now the bail money is ready, but I lost the bail receipt. What can I do?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Oliver Wolff
Charles Oliver Wolff
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Trumansburg, NY
  • Licensed in New York

A: Have your son's attorney draft an affidavit stating that your son was arrested, listing the date and charge against him, that he was incarcerated and you posted his bail, noting the date it was posted and the amount, and that he has been sentenced and you wish the bail returned. Sign & notarize, and take it to the court where he was sentenced.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.