Dover, DE asked in Divorce for Delaware

Q: What is rule to show cause

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Charles Snyderman
Charles Snyderman
  • Wilmington, DE
  • Licensed in Delaware

A: One party to a lawsuit has the right to ask the Court to take certain action. Before the Court takes that action, the judge can issue an Order giving another person a time limit within which to come forward and explain why the Court should not take that action.

The topic you selected is "divorce law," so an example from Family Court might help. In a recent case, a father prevented a mother from having contact with their children. The mother filed a petition with the Family Court asking for a Rule to Show Cause why the father should not be held in contempt of Court. If the father fails to come forward, or fails to provide a valid reason, the Court will consider the mother's request solely on the basis of what the mother says happened.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.