Pawtucket, RI asked in Child Support for Massachusetts

Q: If my ex wife lives in Virgina with my two girls and I live in RI can she file for a child support modification in Mass?

We had our divorce in Massachusetts and the child support order was originally out of Mass but then she moved to Virgina with the kids in 2006 and has been there ever since.. So my question is can she come back to Mass and file for a modification when neither of us live here?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jeffrey Allan Miller
Jeffrey Allan Miller
  • Worcester, MA
  • Licensed in Massachusetts

A: It is my understanding that she can come to Mass because that is where the original Order was placed, however, you can challenge the jurisdictional authority. There may be a number of circumstances in which you will both need to appear to court, and this a hardship. A modification could work in your favor, depending on the circumstances. If she does file a complaint for modification, be sure to file your answer. check out this website for more information.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.