Lawyers, Answer Questions  & Get Points Log In
Questions Answered by Brian Waller
1 Answer | Asked in Family Law and Child Support for Massachusetts on
Q: How do i stop an order since we are now married?

Years ago i started my then boyfriend on CS for our 2 sons. We have since got back together and have been married. We have had 3 other children since the order started. He owes technically me back support but her provides everything for us to live. How do i stop this order?

Brian Waller
Brian Waller answered on Feb 10, 2020

You should contact DOR Child Support Enforcement Division and explain your situation. They will walk you through the steps you will need to take. In general, you will need to modify the child support order to terminate it, and as part of the process, you would waive the unpaid arrears balance. You... Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Family Law for Massachusetts on
Q: In Massachusetts, what powers to enforce the orders does a judge have on family related issues?

There is an order concerning visitations (drop offs and pick ups) for a non custodial parent. The custodial parent doesn't obey the order and the non-custodial parent files for contempt. The judge find the defendant (custodial parent) guilty. The custodial parent still disregards the order.... Read more »

Brian Waller
Brian Waller answered on Feb 3, 2020

In this situation, the judge could again find the custodial parent in contempt with some more severe consequences. That could be anything from awarding you attorney's fees (if you have an attorney) to ordering that you have additional parenting time.

It depends what you are seeking the...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Child Support and Family Law for Massachusetts on
Q: Will I have to pay child support because I make more than my ex?

So my ex and I have never been married and we have never gone to court for any child custody. I plan on taking him to court to do that but my biggest fear is that I’ll have to pay him for child support because I make more than him. Would I have to pay him for child support?

Brian Waller
Brian Waller answered on Dec 31, 2019

Not necessarily. Child support isn't solely based on income, the biggest factor is which parent has primary physical custody of the child. The child support guidelines also factor in other expenses paid on behalf of the child, like daycare or health insurance.

The way the child support...
Read more »

1 Answer | Asked in Divorce and Immigration Law for Massachusetts on
Q: I married in PR get divorced in Springfield, MA. I will like to know if divorced is recognized and valid for immigration
Brian Waller
Brian Waller answered on Dec 21, 2019

Any legal divorce granted by a court with proper jurisdiction over the parties in the US should be recognized for immigration purposes.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.