Rosemont, IL asked in Criminal Law for Florida

Q: Should my friends and I get local counsel? Trespassing question - Florida

I've got this nagging feeling, embarrassment honestly since I returned from a recent trip to Florida.

One night as my friends and I were walking back from the bar scene, we came across these beautiful yachts for rent. Well, we walked up and sat at the table at one yacht. After I noticed security cameras on the boat, I left immediately (approx 2 minutes from getting on the boat)- as did one other. The other guys stayed at the table for another few minutes then got off the boat (10 minutes total, tops). That's all we did, literally sat at the table on the deck of the yacht then we left. No police were called, no security or no owner telling us to leave. We just left.

Our next stop after several blocks of walking, the hotels and we called it a night.

I'm more embarrassed than anything, and obviously I have a guilty conscience.

Should we look into local counsel? What are the chances we can get arrested if none of us live in Florida?

I'm feel awful.


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Deltona, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There appears to be a strong likelihood that you will be charged with trespassing, and you should get local counsel if you are charged. We do not normally extradite for misdemeanors. There might be an arrest warrant for you here in Florida, and it would remain open until you are arrested. So, you really should look into this by hiring counsel. Where did this occur? Call for a free consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.