Philadelphia, PA asked in Products Liability for Pennsylvania

Q: Can i get a cash advance loan off a wrongful death suit if im the beneficiary of the suit for my child i have custody

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
  • Products Liability Lawyer
  • Allentown, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: This question is not terribly clear. This is the way I understand it, and, as such, will try to answer it:

"Wrongful death and survival actions have been filed. I have custody of a child, who would be a beneficiary if the suit is successful and results in a recovery. Can I get either an advance or a loan using the "expectancy of success" as collateral? If so, can I use that advance or loan either for my benefit or for the benefit of the child?"

In most instances, when a "death action" is filed, it is actually in two parts, wrongful death and survival. The survival action is a claim of the deceased person's estate and runs through the estate. That part is even subject to inheritance tax in the same way that an inheritance would be taxed. The wrongful death component does not go through the estate. It passes directly to statutorily defined beneficiaries and is not subject to tax.

Any distributions to a minor would be subject to court approval. Thus, if you were to be able to get an advance or loan, it would first require court approval. However, if you put that aside for discussion purposes, it is highly unlikely that you could get a loan or advance because every lawsuit carries uncertainty with respect to the ability to succeed and the amount of the recovery. Thus, I would be extremely surprised if you would ever be able to get an advance or a loan against this expectancy, particularly since it apparently is not even yours.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.