My son will turn 18 in two months. His father is now saying I must petition the courts to stop the support. Doesn't he?

More details:

Shouldn't his father petition? Why do I have to do it? The divorce states he stops paying after our son turns 18... Our son is currently in a drug treatment facility and is planning on staying with his father when he finishes his treatment. But right now he is not living with his father or I.. Confused as to if I have to petition the payments to stop or if its his fathers responsibility.

You can follow answers to this question by subscribing by e-mail.

Answer this Question

Robert Jason De Groot

Answered 2 years ago

Child support stops automatically, unless there is an arrearage. You do not have to file a petition.